Start/stop engine feature not working for over 1 year

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

In late 2020 I bought an used XC40 D4 AWD made in 2018. with some 40k miles. It was standing in front of the salon for some 6 months and not driven too often before I bought it. The Start/Stop didn't work but they told me it will start after some long journey. It did start after a couple of days, but only once, despite the fact I have a 100 miles ride from the dealership to my home.
The other thing I noticed is that my timer heater didn't work either, usually displaying the message like "Heating timer didn't start due to insufficient battery capacity". I complained (again) to the dealership and although they told me it'll be OK, after some 3-4 complaint and the similar amount of thousand miles, they agreed to replace the battery at no cost.
Should I say the Start/Stop, as well as the heater started working immediately? :)
Modern Volvo, with many electric circuits, as well as mobile app that we check regularly (creating demand for more electric power) can be a battery drainer if not driven often. If you drive it shorter distances, especially in Eco mode, the battery might not recover as well.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Bekster wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:20 am
Chris John wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:28 pm
Bekster wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:25 pm i forgot to say that i really like my xc40 T4. people joining a trip were of similar thoughts. but i do NOT like a brand to just ignore me and me getting this generic phone call that volvo does not accept my claim. After the originalservice volve did NOT even list my battery fault on the service invoice. I feel I was completely ignored. I dont want a new volvo or do I??
How do you know there’s a problem with your battery?. As I said in my post if the support battery is not at correct charge the stop start won’t work. You did long journeys and it worked so it may well be working as designed
i do not know if this is a battery fault. The software was updated during the service 2 weeks ago and did not make a difference. They did not even look at it, because Volvo did not approve it. So no one knows what is wrong.

I used to have a E-class Merc with a 3litre diesel engine and that start/stop system worked without any problems for 4 years. Being a diesel, and bigger engine than my T4 petrol, it is dissapointing the T4 has this problem.
All they need to do is measure the charge in the support battery, which they should have done when you said stop start isn’t working. Get onto Volvo CS about the lack of customer service you’ve received
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Exactly the same problem for me, 3 year old car, mostly stranded due to Covid, and the Start Stop does not work anymore, along with the Park sensors. Should I tell the Volvo dealer here to directly change the support battery?

Bekster wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:45 pm the start/stop feature has not been working on my car for over 1 year. My car is nearly 3 years old. I blamed the problem on the restricted mileage, due to Covid. Last year summer I went on holiday and did 2000miles (Approx 3000km) in just over 2 weeks. The carengaged the start/stop a few times during the holiday, but stopped working since.

I asked the volvo garage to check this during the annual servicr, but volvo UK did not approve of the warranty repair. Has this happened to someone else?

is there a disclaimer in the warranty paperwork relating to allowing them to deny this warranty claim?

The garage offered to do an initial check for £98 (120Euro). Guess they come back to me recommending to buy a new battery!
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Bekster wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:20 am
i do not know if this is a battery fault. The software was updated during the service 2 weeks ago and did not make a difference. They did not even look at it, because Volvo did not approve it. So no one knows what is wrong.

I used to have a E-class Merc with a 3litre diesel engine and that start/stop system worked without any problems for 4 years. Being a diesel, and bigger engine than my T4 petrol, it is dissapointing the T4 has this problem.
You are taking it as read though that they did contact Volvo - as I said in my previous post, I find it very unusual / strange for a car under warranty that they wouldn’t check it out, then contact Volvo to see if covered if an issue found -> it does kind of sound to me that they may not have bothered to check / the ‘excuse’ is Volvo say No…
Bekster

Post by Bekster »

i am happy to tell that my 3 year old car was given a new battery a few days before the 3 yaer warranty expired. Used the car now for a few weeks with the new battery and it works again like new. However, i feel a bit let down by Volvo that i had to make quite a "noise" for this to happen. Happy endings :) Now looking forward to a C40, if I can, when the lease expires in a year
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I had to have a stop-start auxiliary battery changed on a D4 XC60 last year because the car had stood for so long through lockdown, the battery would no longer hold a charge. The dealer told me that the auxiliary battery is not covered by the Volvo warranty, so I paid to have it replaced when it was next in for a service. Fortunately, it wasn’t too expensive.

Most batteries come with a 3 or 5 year warranty from the manufacturer. I put it to my dealer that although the Volvo warranty doesn’t cover it, the battery manufacturer / supplier should, but they weren’t interested. Probably too much hassle for them.

In hindsight, I should have just left it. I’m not really that bothered about stop start and rarely drive in urban environments.

Interestingly, the battery they fitted only came with a 12 month warranty so I assume it must have been of very low quality.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Mervin

Post by Mervin »

Hi Keith. How much were you charged for the auxiliary battery
2023 B4 Plus Dark AWD.Driver Assist and BLIS Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel. Black
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Battery warranties aren't warranties, they're a defined refund... So 5 yr "warranty", you claim battery within yr 1 you get 100%, yr 2 80%, Yr 3 60%, Yr 4 40%,Yr 5 20% yr6 0%...
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Mervin wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:46 pm Hi Keith. How much were you charged for the auxiliary battery
I can’t remember the exact amount, but I think it was around £90 fitted. You can buy them for around £60 if you want to fit it yourself.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

I’ve had the same issue as others here and also had to get our 2 year old D4 AWD a new support battery. Cost around 150 GBP to get the dealer to put in a replacement.