Vehicle location in Volvo App?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Our daughter has a 2021MY B4 R-design pro with the Sensus system. She is able to see the vehicle location in the map section of the App. With our P8 Twin motor with the Google system there is no map in the App and no way I can find to see the vehicle location. Looking in the manual there is only a mention that Volvo On Call can track the location if I think it has been stolen. Cant find any way to see it in my Google account either. I suspect its something to do with the Google auto system but just wondered if anyone had found a way to show the location. We spend quite some time out of the UK and it would be useful to check the location now and again.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps

qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I think this is one of the things that was promised along the way and not delivered...
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

If you have an iPhone, then the simplest way to "check in" on the location of your car is to chuck an AirTag in the glovebox. Works amazingly well
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

m@rk wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:35 pm If you have an iPhone, then the simplest way to "check in" on the location of your car is to chuck an AirTag in the glovebox. Works amazingly well
Actually, if you have an iPhone and set your location setting for Google Maps to "always on", it will automatically set the parking location when it detects you have left the car i.e. loses bluetooth. No need for an air tag unless you want to track the car when it is moving. I haven't used this for a while (I have a Sensus car and hence use the app!), so can't be sure it still works, but it used to in the past.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

pwliv wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:29 pm
m@rk wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:35 pm If you have an iPhone, then the simplest way to "check in" on the location of your car is to chuck an AirTag in the glovebox. Works amazingly well
Actually, if you have an iPhone and set your location setting for Google Maps to "always on", it will automatically set the parking location when it detects you have left the car i.e. loses bluetooth. No need for an air tag unless you want to track the car when it is moving. I haven't used this for a while (I have a Sensus car and hence use the app!), so can't be sure it still works, but it used to in the past.
Apple Maps does a similar thing however the poster said he wanted to check in on his car whilst abroad so probably already knows where it was when he left it. He just wants to be sure it hasn’t moved
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

m@rk wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:08 pm
pwliv wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:29 pm
Apple Maps does a similar thing however the poster said he wanted to check in on his car whilst abroad so probably already knows where it was when he left it. He just wants to be sure it hasn’t moved
You are correct. i do want to check its location when abroad. The AirTag idea sounds perfect. Will get one in the next few days and see how it goes. Thank you.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Cevoli21 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:32 pm
You are correct. i do want to check its location when abroad. The AirTag idea sounds perfect. Will get one in the next few days and see how it goes. Thank you.
Just be aware that Apple AirTag is not a GPS device. It’s a Bluetooth device that uses Apple Find My network and requires another Apple device nearby for sending its location. If your car is parked in a place where nobody passes by with an iPhone you won’t get a location reading. AirTags have been also updated with anti-stalking features that allow disabling. Before buying read these articles:
https://www.esrgear.com/blog/how-does-a ... rtag-work/
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... -incidents
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:34 am
Cevoli21 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:32 pm
Just be aware that Apple AirTag is not a GPS device. It’s a Bluetooth device that uses Apple Find My network and requires another Apple device nearby for sending its location. If your car is parked in a place where nobody passes by with an iPhone you won’t get a location reading. AirTags have been also updated with anti-stalking features that allow disabling. Before buying read these articles:
https://www.esrgear.com/blog/how-does-a ... rtag-work/
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... -incidents
I have a few of these and am amazed how many times the tag is "pinged" in a day however as most people have phones these days and a large percentage have iPhones it's probably not surprising.

Even parked in a random quiet corner of a car park, it seems to get hit at least once an hour (which for the described need is plenty). Airport carparks are crazy as you literally get somebody with an iPhone driving past your car or walking past your car every few minutes and as eugen61 points out, whilst not GPS, is "good enough" for this sort of thing
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Next door neighbours both have iPhones so hopefully it will work.