Auto parking brake

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Purchased my XC40 in October, car is less then 1 year old. I park the car forward on my driver with a slight down hill, and always use the parking brake.
If the car has been parked for several days without any movement when I attempt to reverse of the drive using auto release the release seems stubborn and when the brake is released is makes a load clunk from the rear.
This appears to only happen in these circumstances, does this sound right.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Could it be the discs rusting in damp weather and the calipers sticking slightly as a result?
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Mine does this. It’s the rear breaks sticking on after being left for a few days.
My car was left outside for 3 months without moving. A bit of throttle and they soon released with a bang :D
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Discs are made of Cast Iron, and rust prolifically, as said above, it's rust. The brake pads may well be warm when you stop, and clamping the pads on will enhance the rusting. In the good old days (240/740/760 era) the big cars all had small brake drums built into the rear discs for the parking brake.

My wife's' car often stands for a while, it will click as it moves off, and until you give it a good brake application. Same root cause
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

This is normal, my old Focus with rear drums used to do it as well. The workaround is not to use the parking brake but rely on the gear box or engine to hold it. At home which is the only place it's likely to be a problem, you can even chock the wheels, perhaps by fixing a plastic speed bump across the driveway.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel