Fuel Consumption

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
SteveMAC

Post by SteveMAC »

Hi, new to this so be kind!
I purchased a new XC40 B4 R Design Pro after careful consideration after running a few BMW X1 diesels for a number of years. Wanted a change and this is now the perfect vehicle for me apart from the fuel consumption. I’m getting 24.9mpg.
After reading the specs, before I purchased, I am led to believe that I should be getting between 35 and 45 MPG. I commute a 20 mile round trip every day with 75% of the journey on a 70mph dual carriageway. Rest is town traffic in 30/40mph zones. I have been on a few longer journeys but the mpg only crept up to 29 after resetting the TM.
After a week of running the car I rang the dealership which said I’d probably see the mpg increasing after around 1000-2000 miles. Current mileage is 1686 but still 24.9 mpg. I actually spoke to one of the salesmen about 3 weeks ago who replicated the original call with saying I should see the true mpg in 1000-2000 miles. He told me to bring in the vehicle if there was no change, which I will be doing in the new year.
As to driving, I’m getting no difference at all driving in comfort and eco.
Anyone else had this issue, or is it normal?
Cheers

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Collected my B4 fwd on 2nd November, the current mileage is 1233 with an average mpg of 31.7 according to the app. I get around 36-38 mpg on an A road run of say 17 miles (the distance to our nearest out of town shopping park) but on short school or local shop run this drops to 24-26 mpg. Bit disappointed with that lower figure at first but it is a 2.0l petrol engine pulling a heavy car so it is what it is, I do expect to perhaps improve the A roads figure a little but not by much, so the dealer may be correct that the mpg will settle between down 1000-2000 miles.
I haven’t seen any noticeable difference In mpg using eco drive so I don’t bother with that, I tried dynamic drive for a short while ,small reduction in mpg , comfort or normal setting is fine for me . Eco is there if you encounter snow or ice and dynamic is there if you want a bit of fun.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
FrankwH

Post by FrankwH »

I have had my B4 Momentum for a few months on a recent trip from Westyorkshire to Glasgow 600 odd mile round trip
the average fuel consumption was 31.9 which I recon is not to bad for a heavyish 2.litre vehicle total milage to date is
1,250 miles, previous car was a V40 2.litre manual which was only slightly better.
I must admit that having owned and used Diesels for the last 30years its taking a bit of getting used to!
That said I totally love the XC40
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

I have done 8700 miles since March; the app is showing 40.0 mpg and my brim-to-brim real world number is 39.5 mpg (I have been very impressed by the accuracy of the trip computer on this vehicle).
My previous car was a 1.4 Audi A3 and over 4 years I averaged, brim-to-brim, 45.9 mpg so I am well pleased with 40.0 in the XC40. However, I probably don't drive the Volvo as spiritedly as I did the A3. I have also noticed a marked difference between summer and winter figures and believe ambient temperature affects the Volvo more than the A3.
My best trip, 120 mile round trip on the M5/M6 in the summer, was 49.7, around town I get 15-20.
All that said, it depends how you drive. I drove to the dealer in the summer, mostly motorway, and got 45 or so, the engineer took it out on a dual carriageway and got 32.....
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I've had my B4 around 9 months. Long term average is 30.52 using the figures obtained from the driving log. However as with all averages this can be brought down by a single run with low consumption. I also calculate the consumption for each trip and the best I've had is 52.3 mpg, whilst several are high 30's to 40's. So yes it can achieve that, but the overall average will be around 30ish.

I also drive on the individual profile which is the comfort one with ECO engine settling. This has a slightly more muted throttle response and allows coasting on throttle off.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
SteveMAC

Post by SteveMAC »

Thanks for the info everyone
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

B4 FWD. Have now done first 1000 miles. Brim to brim consumption has been 38.19 mpg on mixed roads. I use the Pilot Assist, ACC and Speed Limiter as much as I can. On the A3 this morning in heavy rain and spray the Pilot Assist was struggling to maintain lane position, so i turned it off.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
Tomduck

Post by Tomduck »

Interesting topic!

I am about to order an XC40 Plus Dark in the new Fjord blue paint, Connect trim, dark windows and the £599 3 year service pack but am torn between the B3P and the B4P AWD primarily because I’m coming from years of diesel usage and being used to getting 500-600 on a full tank!

I live in the country so like the idea of AWD for the couple of days it snows a year (FWD 4x4 tend to be hopeless in the snow) but it seems an average of low 30s against high 30s is the trade off. I mostly do longer 100-200 miles trips on the motorway at 75mph but throw in a few 10 miles trips on B roads each week. The B4P AWD is £1500 more over 4 years.

By the way I’m disappointed that Volvo have retired the R Design and it’s dark roof from the range so they can have this feature reserved for their electric models. Guess they want as many upsells for their electric models as possible.

Last question…I have only tried the Sensus system, is the Google version much better?

Thanks in advance for any comments 🤓
Newbie about to order an XC40 B3P or B4PAWD in Fjord blue. Will be my first Volvo after many years of Audi and BMW which I’m now bored with…
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

A lot will come to driving style/experience so you will always get different to me and to the next guy.

But what were you getting on the diesel X1? Were you getting the claimed 56mpg? If not, by how much did you fall short? And is that percentage shortfall similar to what you are getting on your new car?

The problem is there are so many variables. Cold weather means cold starts. 70mph on a dual carriageway is a long way from the most efficient conditions. An A road cross country single carriageway with an average speed of 45mph would see higher economy for example.

It is however true that the car needs time to bed in but also, you cannot work out fuel economy on single journey figures. You need to get some miles under your belt and then look at the average consumption
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The OP hasn't been back on the forum for a while so you might not get a quick answer.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019