Faulty Fuel Injector - B3 2023

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

I feel it's important to clarify the 10 year warranty statement that has often been mentioned on this forum, this is taken from the Toyota website:
Up to 10 years / 100,000 mile Toyota warranty*
Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every qualifying service*. Up to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, letting you relax in the knowledge that you and your vehicle are in safe hands.
The terms and conditions are then accessed here:
https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/to ... e-2022.pdf
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

And notice that servicing is annually or Only every 10,000 miles. As someone who does more miles than this a year it wouldn't be ideal from a convenience or cost perspective.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

You are right to clarify the 10-yr warranty. For me (and guess would be for many) there are no negatives, but for those who would push oil changes/ services beyond schedules, or prefer to have their cars checked by others, can see how it could be and may not suite. On balance though,you will find it's considered by critics to be an innovative giant-leap forward by a leading manufacturer willing others to follow. Feel sure anyone reading your link would not view it as negative, and perhaps wished it was an industry standard??
Last edited by Deleted User 4737 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 4737

JFDIT wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:07 am And notice that servicing is annually or Only every 10,000 miles. As someone who does more miles than this a year it wouldn't be ideal from a convenience or cost perspective.
Feel sure if a vehicle is scheduled to be service every 24-months or 20k miles - that's how its serviced, don't think you would be forced to have it done every 12-months for warranty purposes??
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

I guess it’s ‘ Horses for Courses’ . Now I’m retired, gone are the days where I change my car every 2-3 years, my next one, I will be looking to keep minimum 5 years, probably then will look at an EV, which I am hoping will allow time for advancement in both vehicle and infrastructure.
Because of this, an extended warranty is pretty much a necessity, and 10 years suits. I’m not particularly a Toyota fan as none of their vehicles appeal to me personally. Lexus however is another matter, having already looked at an NX350h. I love the XC40 but if I was to buy another I would need an extended warranty which for an extra 3 years ( taking me to 6 years ownership) would cost me some £1.5k at todays prices, plus servicing I would be looking at a total of close to £3k, Lexus for those extra 3 years I would just be looking at servicing, which would be around £1.5k , so a bit of a non brainer. Some would say you could ‘wing it’ and not buy the extended warranty, this would be a realistic option on a straight forward ICE, but on a Hybrid…I don’t think so.
The 10 year warranty also allows me to lower the cost of my initial purchase, by looking at cars around 12 months old with low mileage, knowing I still have 9 years warranty left.
Bottom line, I have to want the NX350h, so far I do based upon initial viewing. The final decision will be based upon the test drive, and if no good, all aforementioned is null and void, and back to square one!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I agree Stovo. If Toyota or Lexus made a vehicle that appealed to me I'd buy it. But regrettably they don't.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Don't have an axe to grind on any car, yes some are better that others, but as you say 'Horses for Courses'. Have liked the XC40 a lot, but would not run one out of warranty, and like you, the next one is to be kept for much longer. Feel the Lexus NX is a better car and package all round, and don't think you would be disappointed if you choose one. Can't quite get my head around the reason to post their warranty link as it wasn't made clear, was it to highlight it's bad or good?? For me its the latter!! What other brand of car can you obtain that is (say) 7-years old 70k miles and still 3-yrs warranty remaining?? With the complexity of cars going skywards, this warranty should not be talked down, it's innovation should be embraced and demanded from all!!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:39 pm I agree Stovo. If Toyota or Lexus made a vehicle that appealed to me I'd buy it. But regrettably they don't.
Yes, same here. It is a real pity as I agree that manufacturers should have much longer warranties as it's not unreasonable to expect a car to last 10 years without major problems.

Unfortunately most manufacturers haven't taken up the Toyota/Lexus lead and must feel that they can still sell enough cars without doing so. Doesn't say much for their confidence in their product though does it? I guess they have done the figures and feel they would have to increase their prices substantially?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

BuzBox wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:49 pm Can't quite get my head around the reason to post their warranty link as it wasn't made clear, was it to highlight it's bad or good?? For me its the latter!! What other brand of car can you obtain that is (say) 7-years old 70k miles and still 3-yrs warranty remaining?? With the complexity of cars going skywards, this warranty should not be talked down, it's innovation should be embraced and demanded from all!!
Why spoil your valuable feedback with Oldie / John habits? I started to like your latest reincarnation, the best so far.
I found the warranty link quite helpful, list of parts covered for 10 years is impressive, it made me start looking into Lexus NX reviews.
Deleted User 4868

Post by Deleted User 4868 »

Interesting discussion re Toyota vs. Volvo hybrids - not relevant to this thread though. I have just moved in the opposite direction, with the XC40 having no close equivalent in the Toyota range, as their smallest SUV is a Yaris Cross, or the C-HR. Maybe the Rav4 - but the equivalent to that would really be the XC60. TBH Toyota hybrids are a bit dull and Lexus share many of the same drivetrains - and quirks. Price up a Lexus and you are in XC90 territory. Very reliable though. It is a bit strange that Toyota moved from a 5 year warranty to a 3 year offering, albeit one with add ons to take it to 10 years - servicing dependent. Servicing isn't 'all that' either so don't be expecting driving and reliability nirvana. :D